Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Why TEACHER? and Why PSHS-CMC?

When I was young, I never dreamed of becoming a teacher. I never imagined myself standing and lecturing in front of students who seemed to act like they're listening even if they're not. Stage fright, you know. But everything changed when I entered MSU-IIT. They gave me BS MATHEMATICS as my course even if it's not in my preferred courses. At first, I was not sure what BS Math could give me or where would it lead me. I asked a sign from God, kung ano ba talaga ang gusto niya para sa akin.  Eventually, after how many days, weeks, months of asking a sign, nanaginip ako.Guess what!? Nanaginip ako ng CHALK at CHALKBOARD ERASER!? Nyayks. That means, He wanted me to become a teacher. So, pinagpatuloy ko ang BS Math. knowing that dapat ako maging tertiary/college teacher. But, there is one thing in my mind, I told myself that no matter what will happen, "I WILL NEVER TEACH IN HIGH SCHOOL!"

When I graduated last April 2010, siyempre, gaya ng iba pang mga nagsipagtapos, pinalipad ko ang resume ko to different colleges and universities. ADZU (Ateneo de Zamboanga University) called me and asked me to have a demonstration. I traveled almost 12 hours from Iligan to Zamboanga City just to have a demo. After staying 4 hours in ADZU, I went back to Iligan City. That means, another 12 hours to travel. Wala pang isang oras pagbalik ko sa Iligan, Sir Coronado called me. (I was shocked that time because I dont even know him in the first place) He told me that ini-refer pala ako ni Dr. Serquina to apply at PSHS-CMC. Sir Coronado told me to come to PISAY immediately for the submission of my application. Pinagawa pa ako ng lesson plan (I dont even know how to make one because I'm not an education graduate). He told me na I will prepare daw a demonstration about "Proving Identities". Yeah, I was so confident with that topic because I simply like the topic. Kinabukasan, ready to go na ako sa PISAY, but nakalimutan ko, di pa nga pala ako nakakapunta sa Balo-i. I dont even know anong sasakyan papunta doon. So, sa overtone (im not sure of the spelling) ako sumakay. I told the motor driver, "Sa PHIL. SCI. ko nong." He replied, "Sayuha sa klase ninyo dong ui. Unsa na may year nimo?" Wahahaha. I just smiled and said, "Naa lang koy adtuon didto."

When I entered PISAY, nalaman ko na ang reason bakit ako napagkamalan ng driver na student. Nakalimutan ko, nakaformal attire pala ako. Long sleeves with a tie, slacks, and a well-shined shoe. Ang hindi nila alam, that was exactly the outfit I wore when I conducted my demo at ADZU just a day ago. Hahahaha. Anyway, pagdating ko sa SMT office, Sir Coronado told me that I will take an exam. I never thought kailangan pa pala mag exam, eh hindi pa naman ako nakapag ready or nakapag study, at isa pa, hindi ko alam kung anong coverage ng iti-take ko. Come what may.

After that, I conducted my demo together with the other 4 applicants. I was discouraged nung nalaman kong ako ang pinakabata at ako lang ang wala pang master's degree sa mga applicant. Ang nasa isip ko nalang nung mga panahong yon was to enjoy and wag mag expect. About my demonstration, my audience were Mam Chuchi, Sir Coronado, Mam Ronna and Mam Rachel. That time, hindi ko alam kung anong mga posisyon nila sa PISAY. I never thought na ma-i-enjoy ko ang demo ko sa PISAY unlike sa ADZU na medyo seryoso.In general, my demo went smooth and very fine. After that, I went to MSU-IIT to take the Psychological/IQ test. When i was in college, we were required to take that est too, and as always, parati nlng ABOVE AVERAGE yung result sa akin. But when I took that test (in different level) as a requirement for my application in PISAY, it turned out na SUPERIOR ung  result. Hahahaha. Lastly, the final requirement was an interview with the Campus Director. Unfortunately, nakalimutan ng secretary nya kung saan niya nalagay yong resume ko. So, Sir Marlon just asked me this: "Tell me about your self and what can you contribute to PSHS-CMC?" So, I started to talked. As usual, chika chika to the max. After complying all those requirements, I went home (sa bahay talaga namin). After three day, Mam Chuchi called me and asked me if I cal report to PISAY as soon as possible. Pagka kinabukasan, I went to PISAY wearing a tshirt, skinny jeans, and an old shoe not knowing that yun na pala yung unang araw ko sa trabaho. Mam Chuchi gave me my teaching load. Then Mam Rachel introduce me to II-Kamia students. That was Wednesday, and ung tutuusin, second subject ko na pala yon sa araw na yon. Di ako pumunta sa PISAY ng maaga kaya hindi ko nagawang pumasok sa supposedly una kong klase: MATH 4 sa III-Sodium.

Anyway, I am very happy na nakapasok ako sa PISAY. Hinding-hindi ko pinagsisisihan na nag apply ako. At sa bandang huli, ako narin mismo ang lumunok sa sinabi kong "I WILL NEVER TEACH IN HIGH SCHOOL!" I ended up teaching at PHILIPPINE SCIENCE HIGH SCHOOL-CENTRAL MINDANAO CAMPUS.

So, that was the story on how I became a teacher and how I entered PISAY...

3 comments:

  1. nice... hahah... nalingaw qg basa sir..:DD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! Mao diay to, sir? :D Lingawa uy! :DD

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice. thanks for writing this. tulad mo, wala akong kabalak-balak magturo, kahit na 'teacher' ang profile analysis na lumabas na bagay daw sa personality ko nung high school assessment sa careers. Sabi ko, di ako madaldal, so pano kaya ako magtuturo? Pwede bang research na lang? Kaso, after a decade since that event, nanaginip na naman ako ng classroom for the 4th time this year. Humingi din ako ng sign... mga ilang buwan na rin akong nagdadasal. Eh kala ko wala na since February 2012 pako nag-apply, so hahanap nako ng iba nang tumawag ang pshs kahapon. Prepare for a teaching demo daw. Whatever happens, it's good practice in speaking in English I guess.

    ReplyDelete